Snow
Tuesday, November 11, 2003
  Remember this. Remember this.

"Remember this. The dog will die; Maytree and I will at best grow old. It will all unroll from now. I am twenty-three and Maytree thirty; before the sea he fools with the living dog and squints. It will never again be like this. I see from our bedroom window Maytree in the yard holding sun everywhere. Just now a flaw of wind the size of a thumb drags a glissando across the sea. The air apparent."

-- Annie Dillard, from The Two of Them, published in Harper's November issue.

I read this story on a cold, wet Sunday, huddled at my little table in the lamp-lit warmth of my 1369 Café. And when I got to the end, I flipped back through the pages and began again.

Remember this. The dog will die; 




<< Home
I watch myself watching the world...

Archives


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]